Yes, I know, it’s the exam period. But I just couldn’t resist baking something, especially when my mommy offered to help 🙂
Picked a simple recipe from a recently bought cookbook – Classic Essential Cakes (Periplus Mini Cookbooks). It’s so straightforward that we were done with the prep work within 15 mins! Perfect for a quick bake!
adapted from Classic Essential Cakes
125 g butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 drops almond essence
3 eggs, lightly beaten
90g ground almonds
1/2 cup plain flour
whole almonds for decoration
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Line a deep 17 cm round sandwich tin with baking paper
2. Beat butter, sugar and essence in mixing bowl until light and creamy
3. Add one third of eggs, together with one third of ground almonds; repeat with remaining eggs and almonds
4. Fold in sifted flour and stir until ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth
5. Spoon mixture into prepared tin; smooth surface and decorate with almonds
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Leave cake in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack.